Little Teddy’s 10-hour sight-saving op saw medics remodel part of his skull

Adorable Skelton tot Teddy successfully completed his reconstructive surgery last week.

Teddy Jones, who turns two in October, was born with craniosynostosis, a birth defect where the bones in a baby’s skull join together too early before the brain is fully formed. Teddy needed surgery to prevent any future issues from increased pressure on his brain.

Teddy visited Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool for surgery and stayed with his family at the Ronald McDonald House. Teddy’s mum Beki Jones says she dropped Teddy off for his surgery on Monday, March 28, and finally got him back at 6.30 pm, just under 10 hours later.

Read More: The charming secret castle on Teesside you won’t know about and why you’ll have to wait a year to visit

Teddy’s surgery means that as he grows and as his brain grows, he will have plenty of space. Without the operation, pressure on his brain could have resulted in a number of problems including issues with his vision, speech, or even seizures

“We were given 10 days’ notice for his surgery. We knew it was coming and we knew that children usually have it before they are two. They said his surgery was planned for the 28th, so we were a bit nervous, but it was sort of a blessing really because we didn’t have too much time to sit around and panic about it.”

On Monday morning, we went down at about 9am and I didn’t get Teddy back till 6.30pm that night. It was a long day. When he came back he was a bit groggy from all the medication, but he was absolutely cracking You wouldn’t think he’d been through what he went through.

“His surgery was called fronto-orbital advancement surgery. They’ve cut his head from ear to ear across the top, removed part of his skull and remodeled it, and put it back. It took them so long because it’s not one forehead fits all – it’s a bespoke thing.

Following Ted’s surgery, his face has swelled up, restricting his vision for a number of days: “He’s been frustrated, but he hasn’t appeared to be in much pain. Two days after the surgery his eyes swelled up and he couldn’t open them at all, they were really clamped shut.

“By Friday, his eyes were opening a bit. He’s still really swollen and he probably will be for another six weeks but at least he can see.”

Last September, Teesside Live spoke to Beki about her fundraising efforts for the Ronald McDonald house, which Teddy stayed at free of charge on his visit to Alder Hey for his operation.

“I’m a member of a group on Facebook that’s got parents with children with the same condition that Teddy has. We’d been trying to raise enough money for one of the rooms for a year. It costs £5,000 a year to run one of the rooms at the Ronald McDonald house.

“I raised almost £5,000 myself from a fun day and bits and bobs. Collectively as a group, we raised £15,000, which will pay for the room for a year for families to stay in.”

Beki says she’s so pleased with the success of the operation: “He’ll now have enough space for his brain to grow into. It’s absolutely amazing what they can do.”

For breaking news in your area direct to your inbox every day, go here to sign up to our free newsletter


Leave a Comment